Historic Locations > Old Las Vegas Mormon Fort State Park
The Mormon Fort, located at 500 E. Washington Boulevard, is the oldest inhabited building in Nevada. The fort was originally constructed in 1855 by Mormon missionaries sent to Las Vegas to establish a colony and way station for travelers. Two years later the fort was abandoned by the Mormons and eventually purchased by Octavius Decatur Gass who developed it as a large ranch. Ownership passed on to the Stewart family who eventually sold the ranch to the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad in 1902. Today, the fort and dwelling have undergone major reconstruction and serve as a state museum and visitor’s center.
The Old Las Vegas Mormon Fort is listed on the state and National Register of Historic Places.
Mormon Fort Nomination Report