Historic Locations > Las Vegas High School Academic Building and Gymnasium (Las Vegas Academy)
Located downtown in the Las Vegas High School Neighborhood Historic District at 315 S. Seventh Street, the academic building and gymnasium represent the most sophisticated examples of the Art Deco style in Las Vegas. Constructed in 1931 and funded by $350,000 from bond sales, the opulent buildings represent the growth and development of Las Vegas during the Hoover Dam construction. The former Las Vegas High School campus is owned by the Clark County School District and is operating as the Las Vegas Academy of International Studies, Performing and Visual Arts (LVA).
A monument was erected in 2013 that reproduces the Senior Squares created by the campus’ original graduating students of the high school. The original painted squares begin in 1941 and end in 1988. Their location in front of the main entrance on S. Seventh Street subjected them to wear from foot traffic and delivery trucks and they were covered over by the Clark County School District.
The Las Vegas High School Academic Building and Gymnasium are located within the Las Vegas High School Neighborhood Historic District, and are listed individually on the National Register of Historic Places as well as the city of Las Vegas Historic Property Register.
Las Vegas High School Nomination Report
Las Vegas High School Historic District