Historic Locations > Henderson House
The Henderson House was designed and built by architect A. L. Worswick in 1930 in the Mission Revival style for Nevada State Senator Albert Scott Henderson and his family. Albert Scott Henderson was born in 1879 in Eureka, Nevada. Henderson started as a rural school teacher, attended the University of Nevada, Reno for a time and later took a job as a law clerk for Judge Breen in Eureka. In 1908, he was admitted to the Nevada State Bar and also elected district attorney in Eureka.
After the Eureka bank failure, which took the Hendersons' life savings, he and his wife came to Las Vegas in 1910 where he found work as a school teacher. He became superintendent of schools in 1918 for the fledgling Las Vegas School District. In the 1920s, he served in the Nevada Assembly for six years and was named Speaker of the Assembly.
Architect A. L. Worswick became one of the most prominent architects in the city, soon after arriving in 1929. He had previously served as the San Francisco planning department's chief architect. He designed many of Las Vegas' early residences and commercial buildings, including the Apache Hotel (still extant behind the Binion's neon signage on Fremont Street).
The Henderson House is located within the Las Vegas High School Neighborhood Historic District, and is listed individually on the city of Las Vegas Historic Property Register.
Henderson House Statement of Significance