Historic Locations > Las Vegas Grammar School (Historic Fifth Street School)
The Las Vegas Grammar School, or “Fifth Street School” was built in 1936 and is one of the only remaining intact Mission style building of its era. The school was built using federal funds as part of a building program to alleviate a population boom in Las Vegas. Built before the advent of air conditioning, the school incorporated many features that helped provide natural cooling, including heat-resistant overhangs, 10-inch concrete walls, breezeways and a courtyard with a fountain. The school closed its doors in 1959 and changed hands a few times until purchased by the city of Las Vegas in 1996. Between 2004 and 2008, the building underwent a $13.4 million rehabilitation, funded by the Las Vegas Redevelopment Agency. The Fifth Street School is now home to an assortment of local arts and architectural organizations, and space is used for art exhibitions and public and private functions. In 2010 the Fifth Street School was honored with a Preservation Honor Award from The National Trust for Historic Preservation.
The Fifth Street School is listed on the city of Las Vegas Historic Property Register and the National Register of Historic Places.
Fifth Street School Nomination Report