Historic Locations > Big Springs/Las Vegas Springs
The Las Vegas Springs, or Big Springs, was once the site of three running springs, feeding two large pools of water. The site was historically a gathering place for native Americans, and later pioneers and early settlers of the Las Vegas Valley. When the Las Vegas townsite was laid out in 1905, the springs supplied water for the town and the railroad. In the 1950s the springs ran dry due to the over pumping of groundwater throughout the Las Vegas Valley. Today, the 180 acre site is the location of the Springs Preserve, an institution dedicated to the interpretation and preservation of the natural and cultural history of Las Vegas and the Mojave Desert. In 2005, four historic railroad cottages were moved from downtown Las Vegas to the Preserve to be rehabilitated and incorporated into historical programming at the Preserve. The rehabilitation is expected to be completed in 2013.
Big Springs is listed on the state and National Register of Historic Places.
Big Springs Nomination Report