Historic Locations > Berkley Square Historic District
Berkley Square Historic District
Constructed in 1954-55, Berkley Square Historic District is the first minority built subdivision in Nevada with African-American developers, financers and designers. The neighborhood was designed by international-renowned architect Paul R. Williams, the first African-American architect initiated into the American Institute of Architects (AIA). Originally named “Westside Park,” this subdivision was conceived as a Federal Housing Administration (FHA) project and devised to improve the living conditions of Las Vegas’ African-American community in the mid-century. All of the 148 lots are one-story contemporary style ranch houses that are rectangular in shape and have an asymmetric facade with a carport on the side of house. In addition, the district displays typical FHA Standards of the 1940s: curved and looping streets to slow traffic, and sidewalks that are separated from the pavement by a planting strip with trees to provide safety and comfort to pedestrians.
In 2011, the city of Las Vegas received a grant from the Nevada Division of Forestry to place 185 trees within the planting strips of the historic district for the purpose of increasing the tree canopy. The city’s historic preservation office worked with the Nevada State Historic Preservation Office to ensure that the types and locations of the trees were compatible with the historic setting of the neighborhood.
The Berkley Square Neighborhood Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on Oct. 23, 2009.
Berkley Square Nomination Report