Historic Locations > Jay Dayton Smith House
The Jay Dayton Smith house, located at 624 S. Sixth Street, is significant as a locally outstanding example of Spanish Colonial Revival style residential architecture with its irregular massing, asymmetrical facades and red-tiled roof. The house was designed by architects Warner and Nordstrom and built by the Hampton Brothers Construction Company in 1931. The building survives intact with no major alterations and is currently used as a law office.
Jay Dayton Smith (1894-1984), a dentist, was born in Monana, Iowa and settled in Las Vegas in 1926. Smith became a community leader in the field of Education, serving on the Clark County School District Board from 1935-1953. In 1964 the J.D. Smith Junior High School was named for Mr. Smith.
The Jay Dayton Smith House is located within the Las Vegas High School Neighborhood Historic District, and is listed individually on the National Register of Historic Places.
Jay Dayton Smith House Nomination Report