Criminal justice, medical and social services professionals, educators and students are invited to attend the Las Vegas Municipal Court "Gender Matters – Creating Services for Women in the Criminal Justice System Workshop" March 7-8, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., at the Historic Fifth Street School, located downtown at 401 S. Fourth St. Registration costs $175 by March 1 and $200 after March 1. Advance registration is recommended; seating is limited.
With the increasing number of women in correctional settings, there is a growing recognition of the need for gender-responsive services. This workshop will feature noted speaker Dr. Stephanie S. Covington, who will focus on the specific programming needs of women in correctional settings, including intervention strategies for substance abuse, violence and poverty.
This two-day training course will cover:
- Differences between male and female offenders;
- Specific intervention strategies for women;
- National Institute of Corrections guiding principles;
- Research findings on gender-responsive services;
- Trauma and its implications for women’s services; and
- Moving research into practice.
Participants may earn continuing education credits from the following boards:
- State of Nevada Board of Examiners for Drug, Alcohol, and Gambling Counselors*
- State of Nevada Board of Examiners for Social Workers*
- State of Nevada Board of Examiners for Marriage and Family Therapists*
- Batterer's Treatment Certification*
- State of Nevada Board of Continuing Legal Education*
- Commission on Peace Officer's Standards and Training*.
* 12 CEU/CLE credits pending – application submitted to board/commission
Registration is available by mail, facsimile and online. For more information, a workshop brochure, a registration form and to register, visit www.lasvegasnevada.gov/gmworkshop or call (702) 229-4673.