Councilman Ricki Y. Barlow will officially reopen Lorenzi Park to the public at 11 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 17, at the park located at West Washington Avenue and Twin Lakes Drive. Councilman Barlow will also hold a back-to-school fair beginning at 8 a.m. at Sammy Davis festival Plaza in the park at 720 Twin Lakes Drive.
Lorenzi Park has been an oasis for Las Vegans dating back to 1926, and now a $30 million renovation has been completed at the 60-acre regional park. New amenities include a new splash pad, children’s play areas, picnic and shade structures, as well as a return of the historic twin lakes at the park. Residents are encouraged to share their stories and photos by using the #lorenzipark hashtag on social media sites. Stay tuned to the city’s Facebook and Twitter pages for a look back at the park’s unique role in Las Vegas history.
“This is truly a magnificent park and I’m so pleased that we could refresh the amenities while ensuring that the history of the park remains intact,” Councilman Barlow said. “Lorenzi is one of the city’s oldest parks and now it has been restored to the jewel that it once was.”
Councilman Barlow will dedicate the renovated park at 11 a.m. with a flag ceremony at the gazebo in the rose garden at the northwest corner of the park. There will also be games, face-painting, music and food vendors at the park until 1 p.m. Those interested in free supplies and backpacks at the back-to-school fair should arrive by 7 a.m. to get a wristband while supplies last. Back to School participants are encouraged to bring a non-perishable food item to donate to a local food pantry. Free immunization shots for children with shot records will be offered from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Sammy Davis Festival Plaza.
The $30 million renovation project divided the park in half over the last several years. The results include new tennis courts, baseball fields and basketball courts as well as a new band shell on an island in the middle of one of the park’s twin lakes. The much-loved rose garden and gazebo are still in the park’s northwest corner and new historic markers now tell the park’s history.
Lorenzi Park was the vision of D.G. Lorenzi, a French immigrant who purchased 80 acres of property about two miles west of the original town site in 1912. The park opened as Lorenzi’s Lake Park in 1926 with a pool, dance pavilion, lakes and orchards.
The property sold in 1940 and became Twin Lakes Lodge, a resort getaway with a 48-room hotel. The site is linked to the larger histories of dude ranching and divorce in Nevada. The motel played an important role as divorce seekers obtained their needed residency at the motel. The Las Vegas City Council approved the request to designate Lorenzi Park as an historic district on May 20, 2009.
The renovations to the park were funded through the Bureau of Land Management’s Southern Nevada Public Lands Management Act. Richardson Construction was the contractor and the city of Las Vegas is managing the project.