|Las Vegas, Nevada (Official City of Las Vegas Text Site)|
|Home | Visitor | Resident | Business|
The Woodlawn Cemetery, located at 1500 Las Vegas Boulevard North, was created in 1914 when several prominent local women persuaded the Union Pacific Railroad to donate ten acres for a city cemetery.
To reach Woodlawn Cemetery directly, please call 702-229-6246.
In pre-railroad times, the Paiute Indians and the few local ranchers set aside graveyards for family use. Other deceased were placed in an informal burial ground just north of Las Vegas Ranch. The markers for these graves eventually disappeared, and the burials were forgotten. The city accepted the donation of land by the railroad in 1914 and chose the name Woodlawn. Since that time any early burials discovered outside the cemetery boundaries have been re-interred here.
Several notable and colorful Las Vegans are interred at Woodlawn, including prominent local attorney Harley A. Harmon, gunslinger “Diamondfield” Jack Davis and local farmers Bill Tomiyasu, and Frank Kim. Others of note at rest in Woodlawn Cemetery are “Nick the Greek” Dandolos, a famous gambler who lost $500 million before he died penniless in 1964, and eight Civil War veterans. The cemetery was the unofficial veterans cemetery until 1989 and is the home of Veterans Memorial Circle.
Woodlawn Cemetery is currently owned by the city of Las Vegas, and managed by a private company.
Woodlawn Cemetery is also an historic site along the Pioneer Trail.
^ External Link
© 2010 City of Las Vegas | Privacy, Security, Acceptable Use Policies | Accessibility | About This Web Site | Contact Us