|Las Vegas, Nevada (Official City of Las Vegas Text Site)|
|Home | Visitor | Resident | Business|
Las Vegas Grammar School Branch No. 1, “Westside School”
Located in historic West Las Vegas at 330 W. Washington Avenue, the Westside School was built in 1923 in the Mission Revival style. The building was the first grammar school in West Las Vegas and is the oldest remaining schoolhouse in Las Vegas. The school was important in the development of the Westside, serving a largely Hispanic, Paiute and African American community. An addition was constructed at the rear of the 1923 building in 1928, and an additional building was constructed in 1948 to accommodate the large wartime population increase.
Today the building is owned by the city of Las Vegas, and is leased by KCEP radio. The city has completed designs for the rehabilitation the historic buildings for use as a cultural center and continued use as a radio station. The project is expected to begin construction in early 2015.
The Westside School is listed on the city of Las Vegas Historic Property Register, and the state and National Register of Historic Places, and is an historic site along the Pioneer Trail.
^ External Link
© 2010 City of Las Vegas | Privacy, Security, Acceptable Use Policies | Accessibility | About This Web Site | Contact Us