|Las Vegas, Nevada (Official City of Las Vegas Text Site)|
|Home | Visitor | Resident | Business|
John S. Park Neighborhood Historic District
This neighborhood was named for Mr. John S. Park, a Las Vegas pioneer who arrived in the city in 1905 at the age of 53 to serve as cashier and eventually owner of the First State Bank. In 1906 he organized and became the first president of the Consolidated Power and Telephone Company, which eventually became Southern Nevada Power Company. His home was located south of Charleston Boulevard near S. 7th Street.
The John S. Park Historic District includes two subdivisions, the Park Place Addition and the Vega Verde Addition, built primarily between the early 1930s to the mid-1950s. The majority of the homes in the Vega Verde Addition were built in the Ranch and Minimal Traditional styles, popular during the 1940s and 1950s when most of this subdivision was built. The Minimal Traditional style evolved in the mid-1930s as a simplified version of the earlier Period Revival styles with slightly lower pitched roofs and less traditional detailing. The Ranch style began to replace the Minimal Traditional in popularity during the early 1940s and became the preferred post-war suburban house style. This style, influenced by the Spanish and Prairie styles of the 1920s and 1930s, is typically one-story and characterized by very low-pitched roofs and broad, rambling facades with a horizontal emphasis. Developers Franklin & Law, owned by George Franklin and John Law, built most of the homes in the Vega Verde Addition. Franklin & Law offered a choice of four models if homebuyers did not have their own plans. The homes were mostly Ranch style and sold for $4,000 to $12,000. Today the neighborhood is a thriving community of young professionals and long-time residents alike. In 2010 it was named one of ten Great Places in America: Neighborhoods by the American Planning Association.
The John S. Park neighborhood is listed on the city of Las Vegas Historic Property Register and the state and National Register of Historic Places.
^ External Link
© 2010 City of Las Vegas | Privacy, Security, Acceptable Use Policies | Accessibility | About This Web Site | Contact Us