|Las Vegas, Nevada (Official City of Las Vegas Text Site)|
|Home | Visitor | Resident | Business|
Harrison Boarding House
The Harrison Boarding House is located at 1001 F. Street in Historic West Las Vegas. The earliest records for the house indicate it was built in 1942, although it is possible the house was constructed earlier and possibly moved to F Street from another location. The house is significant for its contribution to African American history, specifically related to the history of entertainment in Las Vegas. Owner Genevieve Harrison began renting rooms in 1942 to black performers who played the Las Vegas showrooms where they were themselves forbidden to stay. The need for this type of boarding house in West Las Vegas ended in 1960 with the passing of the Moulin Rouge Agreement which effectively ended segregationist practices in Las Vegas.
It is one of the last, if not the last, remaining examples of an industry developed to cope with segregation as it was practiced in Las Vegas.
The Harrison Boarding House is listed on the Nevada State Register of Historic Places, and is an historic is site along the Pioneer Trail.
^ External Link
© 2010 City of Las Vegas | Privacy, Security, Acceptable Use Policies | Accessibility | About This Web Site | Contact Us