Stay Safe While Shopping This Holiday Season
In just a few short days, the holiday shopping season will officially kick-off. This season typically begins on the Friday after Thanksgiving and continues through Christmas Eve. While this season is a time of good tidings, some individuals take advantage of the distractions and crowds.
Here are some tips on how to safely celebrate the holiday season.
Shopping at the Mall
- Shop during daylight hours when possible.
- Try to shop during less busy times.
- Don’t hang your purse from your arm. Instead hold the purse snugly under your arm or use an alternative like a fanny pack.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash. Pay for purchases with a credit card instead.
- If your credit card is lost, stolen or misused, notify your credit card company immediately.
- Don’t leave shopping bags in view in your vehicle.
- Be cautious of strangers approaching you for any reason, especially in parking lots of shopping areas.
- Watch your credit card slip being filled out - and make sure it's not passed through the machine more than once. Ask for your carbon copies.
- Avoid carrying large, heavy packages that block your vision.
- Keep an eye on children. Teach children what to do in the event you get separated. The best option is to instruct your child to look for a security guard or police officer, or go to the customer service desk where people are trained to help.
- Park in a well lit area and keep your car locked at all times.
- Stick with reputable businesses with contact numbers and physical addresses.
- Use secure Web sites. Sites that use encryption to protect data should display https:// rather than http:// in the address bar.
- Check your credit report and credit card balances regularly.
- Review privacy and security policies.
- Print out copies of all receipts.
Return to the Newsletter