Floyd Lamb Park at Tule Springs has been a work in progress for literally thousands of years. With signs of life dating to prehistoric times, the park has become a true oasis in the desert within the city of Las Vegas.
Fossil remains of early mammoths, bison, horses, camels and other Pleistocene fauna have been found documenting creatures that roamed the area long before humans. Early human habitation has been documented to have been in the park as many as 11,000 years ago. The Paiute Indians were known to have lived in the area hunting, fishing, planting and using the land for their survival in this dry climate. Tule Springs was the source of water supplying their daily needs. Prospectors, travelers and the stage coach line stopped here as they traveled across the desert because of the water.
In the early 1900s, 10 acres in the area were purchased and cultivated by a man name John Herbert (Bert) Nay. He sold his property in 1929 and the property remained vacant until 1941 when Prosper Jacob Goumond began to transform this desert into a working ranch. The working ranch became self-supportive, raising livestock and growing all types of vegetables for the ranch hands who worked at Tule Springs. Gradually, it became a guest ranch accommodating several visitors who sometimes participated in the daily chores of the ranch. Over the years the property grew to 880 acres.
A group of businessmen purchased the property from Mr. Goumond’s granddaughter in 1959 and leased it as a working cattle ranch until the city of Las Vegas purchased the property in 1964 for use as a city park and renamed it in honor of State Senator Floyd Lamb. The park was acquired by the state of Nevada by legislative action in 1977. On July 2, 2007, it was officially transferred back to the city of Las Vegas at which time the park was renamed Floyd Lamb Park at Tule Springs.