I hope you will share the following opportunities with your family, neighbors and friends.
PUBLIC ART OPPORTUNITY FOR CLARK COUNTY ARTISTS
The city of Las Vegas Arts Commission, in collaboration with the city of Las Vegas Department of Planning, invites all Clark County artists to submit qualifications to be considered for the commission of banners for the Berkley Square Historic District. The selected artist will receive a $3,500 design fee upon completion of the work. The banners will be displayed to identify the spirit of the neighborhood and celebrate the neighborhood's African-American history.
Artists will be evaluated based on artistic excellence as presented by the artist's images and ability to complete the project as outlined in their resume. The project is open to artists residing in Clark County, excluding employees of the city of Las Vegas. Interested artists are asked to submit the following information via e-mail by March 29, 2012, for consideration for the project:
1. Letter of interest and qualifications for the project;
2. Resume or curriculum vitae not to exceed three pages;
4. Link to virtual portfolio of completed artwork; please include information about the size, medium and year of the artwork.
Submit e-mail applications to: email@example.com. Put "Berkley Square Historic District Application" in the subject line.
Scope of work for selected artist:
1. The selected artist will design 10 different banners that will be reproduced onto approximately 40, two-sided vinyl banners; one banner will incorporate the name "Berkley Square Historic District."
2. The artwork must be the original design of the artist and may be rendered in digital or other two-dimensional media, but the final art must be submitted on CD/DVD for reproduction. City staff will work with the selected artist on required formatting of the digital files.
3. Each banner will be 3' wide by 7' high and will be displayed with two banners per pole.
4. Each banner design will be reproduced commercially by the city of Las Vegas and displayed around the perimeter of the Berkley Square Historic District.
5. The selected artist will be required to work closely with city staff, attend community meetings and meet with neighborhood residents.
6. The artist's designs will be reviewed and approved by a committee consisting of neighborhood residents, artists and city of Las Vegas staff.
7. The artist design fee includes all design-related fees only; the city of Las Vegas will oversee the printing and installation of the banners.
For more information on the Berkley Square neighborhood, go online.
March 29 Artist Submissions Due
April 16 Artist Selected
May 30 Artist contract
June - July Artist Design
August Banners printed and installed
COFFEE WITH THE COUNCILMAN
Join me for coffee and conversation on Thursday, March 1, from 9 to 10 a.m. at Starbucks, located at 751 N. Rancho Drive at Bonanza Road. Let's discuss our vision for Ward 5 and what we can do together to achieve those goals. This is a great way to talk with me about exciting events I am planning for the remainder of the year and for early next year! There are so many ways to be involved with our community, so join me for a cup of coffee or tea - on me!
COFFEE WITH THE MAYOR
Mayor Carolyn G. Goodman and I invite you to enjoy Coffee with the Mayor on Tuesday, March 27, from 8 to 9:30 a.m. at the Starbucks located at 751 N. Rancho Drive (at Bonanza Road). Meet with me and Mayor Goodman to discuss your concerns and ideas for improving Las Vegas and Ward 5. For directions, call Starbucks at 636-4194.