The purpose of the City of Las Vegas Video Inspection Program is to provide an alternative for eligible residential inspections, including limited re-inspections. The program requires the customer to use Skype or FaceTime app on a minimum 4G smart phone in order to interact with the City Inspector.
The inspection process shall include:
- Scheduling of inspection at https://lasvegasnevada.gov/scheduleinspection.
- Scheduling of remote video inspection via Appointment Plus link on our inspection scheduling page.
- City Inspector will initiate a Skype call to the customer.
- Inspector will direct customer on video images of work to be inspected.
- Inspection results will be resulted in the system
- Building Water & Sewer repairs/replacement (per 100 lf)
- Construction Trailer
- Excavation only (residential pools)
- Gas line repair or tag
- HVAC Exact change out or repair
- Low Voltage outlets
- Minor electrical (5 devices or less)
- Miscellaneous Plumbing Repair
- Miscellaneous Repair/Exterior upgrades (stucco, windows,etc)
- Re-roof (same for same-2 layers only)
- Water heater or Water Softener (same for same)
- Water Piping Replacement
Note: If for any reason the Inspector is not able to complete the inspection via the Video Inspection Program, every effort will be made to route a field inspector to complete the inspection the same day. If this is not possible, the inspector will schedule a field inspection for the next business day.
- 4G Wireless Service
Ensure inspection location and smart phone or tablet has minimum 4G connectivity.
- Skype or FaceTime Account
An active Skype account with a Skype 'name' for performing inspection. For FaceTime you will need your phone number on an IPhone or your email address on an IPad/IPod
- Click here for Skype 'how to' page
- Prepare for inspection
- Prior to scheduled inspection time, ensure all necessary tools based on type of inspection are readily available. For example; tape measure, level, GFCI tester, flashlight, step ladder, etc.
- In extra dark areas, an extra flashlight beside the video device will be necessary
- Click here to schedule the inspection
- Prepare to receive the Skype or FaceTime Call
- Must be at least 18 years old or with an adult to perform the video inspection.
- Ensure smart phone or tablet is fully charged.
- Respond to the call from Inspector.
- Be prepared to accept video call at scheduled time.
- Have all required tools as necessary for inspection.
- Turn off notifications that may interrupt the Skype call. This is an important step, because notifications can freeze Skype and will cause delays to the inspection and a possible failed inspection.
- Use ear buds with a microphone to improve communication.
- Set phone so that you have the small screen view of what the inspector sees (for Skype):
- Tap the Skype screen to access the toolbar
- Tap the camera icon.
- In the small view the inspector sees, tap the reverse camera icon
- Start inspection
- Begin inspection at street view looking at the structure
- The address must be shown in the initial view
- Follow the direction of the inspector
- Walk inspection in a clockwise direction horizontally then bottom to top vertically (if more than one floor)
- Make notes of any corrections
- Inspection results
- Inspector will inform you if the inspection receives a pass, partial pass, or fail.
- The inspector will update the permitting system with the results at the completion of the Skype call.