Established in September 2018, the Mayor’s Fund for Las Vegas LIFE targets specific community needs in the areas of Livability, Innovation, Future and Education. A Mayor’s Fund is a vehicle for corporate and philanthropic partners to invest in solutions that address a community’s most pressing and complex challenges. The Mayor’s Fund for Las Vegas LIFE was modeled after successful mayor’s funds in New York and Los Angeles. It was created to provide the private sector – individuals, businesses, foundations and nonprofits – with a way to support city programs and initiatives that enhance quality of life for Las Vegans, particularly for the city’s most vulnerable populations.
Since its launch, the fund has received more than $4.5 million from corporate, philanthropic and community partners. Over the past year, The Mayor’s Fund contributed to initiatives that support residents across the city:
- Las Vegas Book Festival: Sponsored the celebration of the written, spoken and illustrated word, the largest literary event in Nevada.
- Community Healing Garden: Supported maintenance of the garden and the recently released Las Vegas Healing Garden book.
- Corporate Challenge: Partnered with 72 businesses and organizations to better employee wellness.
- Courtyard Homeless Center: Served 6,921 guests, 4,218 of whom received supportive services to move toward self-sufficiency.
- Public Art: Launched the Historic West Las Vegas mural campaign.
- Youth Sports: Enrolled 171 youth in basketball, flag football and soccer.
- Las Vegas Connected: Provided more than 300 families living in public housing with internet access and devices preloaded with resources.
- Strong Future Youth Employment Program: Trained and placed 200 youth for spring/summer 2019 employment.
- Mid-Year School Supply Drive: Provided school supplies to more than 7,000 students at 19 community locations.
- ReInvent Schools Las Vegas: Implemented the STEAM curriculum for approximately 585 students. Also hosted Safe Summer Nights, providing community and health related resources to more than 5,000 students and their families.
- Strong Start GO! Mobile Pre-K Bus: First bus has the capacity to serve 40 students each day; a second bus will launch in August 2020.
- Summer Learning Academies: Provided summer school to over 350 students in underperforming schools.
To learn more, visit www.mayorsfundlv.org or call 702-229-LIFE (5433).
The Nevada Community Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization, serves as the fiscal agent, receiving all private donations and providing donors with charitable contribution tax documentation. The city of Las Vegas coordinates the Mayor’s Fund to ensure all programs are implemented as intended and supporters know the impact of their donations. An Advisory Committee of local business and community leaders also provides input and guidance to the Mayor’s Fund to ensure programs are set up for success.