In the spring of 2012, more than 120 faith leaders representing more than 70,000 congregants from Las Vegas valley houses of worship responded to Mayor Carolyn G. Goodman’s invitation to help change the city through faith in action. These faith leaders and executive team members of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department joined in table discussions, which identified the following as key community issues affecting their congregations.
- Addictions - The initiative works to assist vulnerable populations and connect them to resources to help them break the cycle of addiction
- Education – Promotes academic success and well-being for every student by building relationships between the community, schools and educators
- Homelessness – Working to end homelessness in southern Nevada
- Human trafficking – Reducing the number of people involved in sex trafficking through awareness, education and connecting with the community
- RECAP/Community Unity - Promote peace, reduce violence through education, training and awareness to increase public safety by developing collaborations with Faith-based, law enforcement, schools and government agencies
- Strengthening the Family - This workgroup focuses on resources and collaborations that positively impact the family unit
For more information or to get involved please call 702-229-5421 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The next Homeless Workgroup Meeting will be a tour of the Courtyard Homeless Resource Center, located at 1401 N. Las Vegas Blvd., on Thursday, Nov. 29. Please meet promptly at
10:30 a.m. at the entrance to The Courtyard (off of Foremaster Lane.) Security will check you in. Please note there will be no MFI meetings the month of December.
- Human Trafficking Workgroup meets fourth Thursday of the month at 1:30 p.m. at City Hall, 495 S. Main St.