Do I need a permit?
- Make sure you are within the city jurisdiction.
- Estimate your permit fees
Prior to the building process, there is a planning and development process that may involve required zoning, aesthetic review, variances and permit approval. In addition, subdividing and land development requirements will require engineering review. Call 702-229-6251 and a representative will assist you in filling out required permit applications. Only a Nevada licensed contractor may obtain a building permit for commercial construction.
We have a year-round amnesty program that allows homeowners to self-disclose non-permitted or non-code-compliant work in their homes without experiencing any penalties for the required plan review and permit fees. For more information or to self-disclose, email BuildingInfo@LasVegasNevada.gov or call 702-229-6251.
Apply for a Building Permit
Building & Safety Resources
Building & Safety Info
The 2018 Building Codes were adopted and go into effect Feb. 5, 2019. Any plans submitted on or after Feb. 4 must comply with the 2018 codes. For a listing of the codes visit our resource page
. Effective January 1, 2020, all NEW commercial, residential, and civil building plans MUST be submitted electronically.
Permit Technicians 702-229-1081 | Email
Customer Service 702-229-6251 | Email
Plans Examiner | Email
Building & Safety Contact List
Building Express Plan Review
The owner/builder team meets with the plansexaminers and they work until plans are approved and permits are ready to beissued. The cost is a non-refundable $550 administrative fee and $660 per hourover and above the regular published plan review fees. The keys to a successfulexpress appointment includes a pre-review appointment to evaluate your plans inthe design stage and point out potential problem areas. The fee for apre-review appointment starts at $176 per hour. To make an appointment, pleasecall 702-229-6251.
Civil Express Plan Review
This program can substantially reduce the review time of civil plans if the plans have been properly designed and prepared.The express program has a $300 application fee, a $54 admin fee and minimum plan check fee of $500 (see the bond estimate for the actual plan check fee) that will be due at the time of submittal. A follow up express review meeting will be scheduled a minimum of one week from the time of submittal. The express review meetings are charged at $600 per hour with a minimum of one hour, and any additional time over the hour will be calculated to the next quarter hour.
To schedule, please email Express@LasVegasNevada.gov
Typical Plans Check Delays
- We thoroughly review all aspects of submissions for code compliance, there are some common issues to avoid.
- Improper setbacks
- Plans don't match approved elevations
- Missing or improper truss calculations and layout
- Inconsistencies between plans
- Problems with fire walls and fire barriers
- Exiting problems
- Fire resistant assembly details incomplete
- International Energy Conservation Code incorrectly calculated
- Accessibility routes of access for handicapped not shown
- Electrical load calculations not provided, or incorrect
- Civil drawings not submitted or approved, grading plans, flood studies, traffic studies, bonds and agreements, etc.